Monday, September 26, 2011

Adventures in Netflix: Heartless + Mad World

Heartless just might be one of my favorite movies now. The feel of this film was equal parts paranoia and personality which worked wonders on my interest. It was dark, cryptic, supernatural, and psychological, but for all it's successes with the prior, it still came to an understandable conclusion as well as made a psychological point that could be comprehended. 4/5.


Mad World was what I'd like to call a screwed up growing up story. It was a pretty good film except for a few problems I had with it. I'm not certain if it was the film's intent, but the narration was in the vain of stories like Stand By Me and it felt like it was attempting to make this a feel-good mistfits band together kinda story when everything else the film did was incredibly dark. Acting wasn't that great (particularly among the adults) and the sound, picture, and visual style were noticeably raw in places. Unfortunately scenarios like this do play out in real life and I feel half bad for half-agreeing with the conclusion of this movie. I struggled with a rating but eventually went with 3/5 over 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment