Sunday, November 7, 2010

Kanye West's 'Runaway'

So I had no idea that this was even a concept until it appeared on my facebook wall. I'd been checking up with Kanye's G.O.O.D. Fridays stuff every now and then but I had no idea that a feature length film was being produced for his upcoming music. That being said I'm sure you can understand that I had no idea what to expect. To begin, one should take note that this is essentially a 30+ minute music video and there's no way that would fly without some good music to back it up. Luckily, Kanye delivered, putting me into high anticipation mode for his new album. I can imagine that this film had a respectable budget and it clearly showed. The production was on point. This piece was visually stunning. Whether it be the wings of a bird-woman or a troupe of ever-shifting ballerinas, the movie was a continuous mass of imaginative and moving images. However, I do feel that there may have been a bit too much slow-motion used. It got to the point where I was saying to myself, "Is it really necessary to have THIS much slowmo in one scene?". While this may have been done to back up Kanye's deep emotional and mental struggles like some have implied, I have thought it all through and cannot find a parallel in Kanye's life for every single instance these type of effects were used. The storyline was simple and yet didn't make much sense, although, again, this may or may not have been intentional. I felt like maybe Runaway tried a little bit too hard to be introspective. Overall I enjoyed the piece. It was an incredibly interesting video to watch and the music was great. {Edit} I just purchased Kanye West's 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' and after listening to the whole album I found the words to say that I wanted to say after watching Runaway. When it had finished I had the undeniable feeling of "I just experienced something" and not just anything. Something unique and beautiful if not a little bit Dark and Twisted. {Edit} Runaway gets a 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment