Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sucker Punch

This probably deserves a longer review but I'm only gonna give it a short one for now. Sucker Punch was quite the visual journey. Zack Snyder's uniquely original style was clearly evident in this original endeavour. To say that the visual effects and cinematography weren't spectacular would be an outright lie. The acting in the film was decent, I was particularly impressed with Oscar Isaac as Blue. The music was a powerful, eclectic, and loud accompaniment that tailored to both the emotion and the action of the film. What slightly disappointed me about the film was that I expected a little more from Zack Snyder. Of course everyone and all the advertisers made it well known that Zack made 300 and Watchmen. As much as I try not to buy into hype, I was disappointed to find that this movie didn't provoke as much of an emotional response as 300 surprisingly did nor did it harbor as much intellectual profundity as I found in Watchmen. However, If taken along with the backstories behind the animated shorts, Sucker Punch becomes a bit more interesting and thought provoking. All in all, the more I thought on it, the more I really liked the movie. I give Sucker Punch an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment